Labels

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Assessments

Assessment, according to Reutzel and Cooter (2009), refers to the observations, record keeping, and ongoing performance test that a teacher uses to gather information about each student’s reading progress. The reason I will assess is to inform my teaching, to find out what my students can and cannot do, to communicate student progress, and evaluate my teaching strategies. These assessments further allow the children to gain the knowledge of becoming better readers. (Reutzel and Cooter, 2009)
Reutzel, R.D. and Cooter, R.B., Jr. (2009). The essentials of teaching children to read:
the teacher makes the difference (2nd ed.). Boston: Pearson


This semester, I was assigned to tutor a student that had been struggling in the subject of reading. I began my assignment by talking with my cooperating teacher in order to find the student with the most needs. After discussing several students with the teacher we determined that my student would be Jonathon.
I began my intervention by asking the teacher specific questions as to where Jonathon was currently at in his reading ability. The teacher told me that he was further behind than any of the other students, but could not determine the cause. I decided that it would not be best to just begin asking questions, so I introduced myself, and told Jonathon about myself, including my lies and dislikes. I was hoping that this conversation would form a bond with the child so a mutual trust could be formed. I decided to interview Jonathon, after our initial conversation, to find out as much as possible that I could about him. I began with an interest inventory, asking him what he was most interested in, the types of books he likes to read, and what he liked to do in his spare time. He answered honestly and this gave me a great starting point on where to begin.
I started out as if I knew nothing about Jonathon’s reading ability. Therefore, I decided to give the QRI III Assessment. Jonathon ability to read words above grade level was astounding. He was able to go up to the seventh grade level before I stopped him. Since his reading ability was so high, I began by giving Jonathon a narrative story to read from the fifth grade. He read the words perfectly but could not comprehend what he was reading. Therefore, I worked my way down until he could read and answer the questions proficiently. At this point, I concluded that Jonathon’s reading level was third grade.
Before I was able to pull Jonathon up to grade level, I had to come up with a plan for instruction. I began by writing my ideas that I have learned in school and in the classroom. I wanted to work with Jonathon on making predictions, mental images, recognizing main ideas, and organization. With my plan complete, I began to work with Jonathon on a bi-weekly basis. Each day, I would work on the previously mentioned strategies in order to help him succeed. Since Jonathon could read almost anything I put in front of him I knew that my goal was to work on comprehension. Each day I worked with him, he seemed willing to cooperate and learn. He wanted to succeed and pull up his reading level.
After many hours and days of working with Jonathon, I decided to give him another informal assessment. I decided to have him read another passage, and answer specific questions based on the text. He improved from the previous assessment, but still had trouble picking up on some of the easier questions. At this point I felt that it was important to work with Jonathon on his visualization of the text. I felt that if he created good mental images in his head then he would have an easier time comprehending. Therefore, for the next few weeks I worked with Jonathon on his mental images, as well as other comprehension strategies. Furthermore, I felt that if I accompanied him to the library then we may be able to find just right books, and some that would be easier for him to visualize.
Therefore, throughout the following weeks, we worked together on many strategies. Specifically on the mental images, main ideas, and supporting ideas. We would read stories together and I would ask questions that allowed him to pick out supporting details. I would also have him describe the mental images he perceived while reading. He would describe everything he saw in his head and we would compare those things with what I mentally saw as he read. I feel that him knowing what I saw might help him pick out the points to mentally see.
As the semester was coming to a close, I felt that Jonathon was ready for his final assessment. I decided it would be best to give the QRI III again. We discussed all that we had worked with all semester before the test. I asked him if he had any questions, and he informed me that he was ready. I began again on his level of fifth grade. I asked a few questions to introduce the text to him, and he read the story perfectly. I took a running record as he ran and determined that he could read with a 97% accuracy, and very few errors. I began asking him the questions included in the test, and he struggled to answer a single on e correct.
At this point I allowed him to finish the test, and asked him to read another story. Unknown to him I had changed from a fifth grade narrative to a fourth grade expository. At this point I reminded him to pause and take a breath at each period or other punctuation mark. Later, I again asked him a few introductory questions, and he was able to answer to the best of his ability. Jonathon began reading the new text. I asked him the questions at the end of the test, and graded his score. Jonathon was successfully able to answer all but two of the questions. This meant that he was at the instructional level.
After going over everything with him, I determined that he had gone up a grade in comprehension. He began at a third grade narrative, and was now at the fourth grade expository. Jonathon had advanced one grade level after the weeks of tutoring. I told him of his advancement and he seemed very happy. I also informed the teacher and we decided that Jonathon might need to have his AR level upgraded to a higher level. I think Jonathon knew he was a struggling reader, and is now able to read some books that his fellow classmates read.
This semester, while working with Jonathon, I understand the importance of working with students to improve their reading ability. In terms of time, I feel that a few minutes out of each day just listening to students, can give the teacher or others an idea of how the student reads. It is important to assess each student to determine where he/she may be struggling. Then even by listening to the student read during class the teacher can suggest and teach the student new strategies to use, without causing the student any embarrassment. Unfortunately however, I understand that in some cases the student may need to be pulled and have some one on one time, where the teacher can focus his/her attention on creating a trusting environment where the child feels comfortable enough to ask questions and make mistakes without stress. I have learned that there is no reason that time cannot be taken out of the day to see where students need help. I have also learned that it does not take long for the student to be pulled up to the level that he/she needs to be on. Jonathon was able to advance one grade level with only a semester of work, I can only imagine what his level will be at the end of the year.



No comments:

Post a Comment