Labels

Friday, December 3, 2010

Math Student that I tutored

Student: Tanner
He is a fifth grader, and is ten years old. Tanner told me that math was not his favorite subject and that he was not interested in doing it. That information threw me off in my questioning and so I asked some of the other questions that may interest him. He likes video games, and wants to be a forensic scientist. After he informed me of that, I did mention that math was a huge part of that profession and that he needed to become aware before he entered that field. When he is not in school or working on homework he plays on Facebook and the game Farmville. He likes doing math but it is not his favorite subject. His favorite television shows are the shows such as Criminal Minds and the CSIs. When I asked him what else he likes to do, he told me that he likes to watch TV and likes to play with friends and family.
Math Concept: Multiplication
The concept that Tanner struggled with the most was his multiplication tables. I began working with him at the beginning of the semester. He was struggling with the concept of multiplying. I began by quizzing him, by randomly walking up to him and asking him a problem. I also work on the different methods of figuring them out, such as partial product, estimation, place values, and the box method (not sure of the technical name). We worked together almost everyday. His understanding has grown, I feel because he memorized his multiplication tables to some degree. However, as we moved on to division, I noticed that Tanner was still having trouble. While I watched him work I realized that he new the steps to division, but he still makes mistakes doing the multiplication. I would let him finish the problem, and would then ask him to check his work. As he did the multiplication he did was right but he say that the answer was not the same as the division problem. Therefore we would go back and check his work on the division problem. He saw how his one simple mistake got the problem wrong.
Conclusions and Recommendations:
After working with Tanner for the past few weeks, I realized that he is a very eager to learn student. He understands the mechanics of the problems, but still makes mistakes when working with his multiplication. I would recommend that Tanner continue to practice and memorize his multiplication facts. I would also remind him that it is not a race, and to take his time while he worked and think about the problems that he is working on.
I also told Tanner that he must do his homework, although I think there were only two times out of the first two quarters that he had not completed it, I reminded him of how important it was. I also reminded him of his favorite game, Farmville. I told him that he did not have the big farm in the beginning, I told him that he had to work hard to get the stuff he had, and that it took time. I reminded him that multiplication is the same way. One must work hard and constantly to keep up, because more things are beginning to be added, and are becoming more complicated.
Other Areas:
I also worked with Tanner on fractions. He understood the mechanics but it took him a long time to figure out the problems. I assured him that he would be quicker at the problems as soon as he got the hang of it. I would sit there and he would always look up for reassurance, and questioning as if I would give him the answer. I would never give him the answer directly. I would always ask him how his teacher and I had worked with the students on how to check your work. He would look down and check his work and smile every time he got it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment