Labels

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Essential Components of Reading Instruction

Highly effective teachers must teach the essential components of reading, using evidence based instructional practices. (2009) Teachers can achieve this by focusing on their curriculum essentials, allowing access to print materials, and through effective instruction. Furthermore, highly effective teachers must model reading and writing for the children. The process of modeling will help emergent readers; an individual who has little or no skills in the task assessed and requires instruction, to learn the skills necessary to succeed. (Reutzel and Cooter, 2009)
As emergent readers begin, they will first need to be taught that there are Concepts of Print. Teachers must first teach these readers that a book has a front and a back, and beginning and end. Then that as a rule, print corresponds to speech, readers read from left to right, and read from the top of the page to the bottom. Furthermore, the reader must understand that print comes in many forms. (Blevins, 2006) As a future teacher, I intend to teach these Concepts of Print by modeling how a book is read, through guided practice, and by using large text so that the students may follow along as I am reading. I plan to assess my students by using a checklist and individually asking students to identify the different parts of the book, as well as where to begin reading, the title, and other established concepts of reading text.
Alphabet Knowledge is another highly critical aspect for emergent readers. As an educator, I intend to teach my students the alphabet by first teaching the names of the letters. In addition to that, I plan to allow my students many opportunities to practice writing letters. Furthermore, I plan to teach my students memory strategies to help children write letters. I can assess my students by implementing the three second rule; which is that if a child does not know the information by that point the student probably does not know it. I also plan on using the Letter Naming Test to assess my students, because without a firm understanding of the alphabet students will fail to become successful readers.
Phonological Awareness is another important factor for the emergent learner to comprehend and is important for speaking and writing correctly. Phonological awareness is defined as a broad term that includes phonemic awareness and can involve things such as syllables, onsets, rimes, words, and rhyming (Armbruster, Lehr, and Osborn, 2008). One idea that I will use is substituting; by substituting letters the students can make new words and build on existing ones. Furthermore, I will incorporate rhyming activities so that the students in the classroom, can hear the sounds, but are creating new words. Finally, I will blend sounds, segment, and delete sounds so the children can build new words to add to their vocabulary. I can assess my students by writing a word on the board and asking them to create new words with similar endings or sounds, either verbally or written.
The third component, that is important to reading success, is Phonemic Awareness. Phonemic awareness is the ability to hear, identify, and manipulate the individual sounds in spoken words (Armbruster, Lehr, and Osborn, 2008). This aspect is important for emergent readers due to the fact that without this knowledge the child would fail to recognize individual sounds and be able to read words and spell correctly. One way I will teach my students is by using Elkonin boxes, this is a manipulative that allows children to separate sounds by using chips to mark each sound. I will teach a majority of this verbally and by modeling for the students. Furthermore, with the use of instructional aides, such as personal dry erase boards, I will ask students to add or delete phonemes to build new words. This last tool will be one way I can assess my students. In addition to that assessment, I can also make corrections consistently during the day to correct errors.
Another component that is important to the emergent reader is Alphabet Principle. The Alphabetic principle is the knowledge that a specific letter or letter combinations represent each of the speech sounds (Reutzel and Cooter, 2009). For students to progress in reading they must understand that the alphabet letters and the sounds they represent, speech is made up of sounds represented by those letters, and that the spelling of those words remain the same no matter where they are seen. I will teach the children in my classroom by introducing two letters at a time, so that the students can contrast the way each letter is written and how the letter sounds. Furthermore, I will have the alphabet around the classroom on the wall, and in other areas so the children can constantly be reminded. With the use of skilled base worksheets, I can assess my students and their progression. (Reutzel and Cooter, 2009)
According to Armbruster, Lehr, and Osborn (2009), phonics is defined as the understanding that there is a predictable relationship between phonemes, the sounds of spoken language, and graphemes, the letters and spellings that represent those sounds. Teaching phonics allows children to learn and use the alphabetic principle, and help them recognize familiar words accurately and automatically. The first thing I will do is to create a word wall in my classroom. On the wall I will place high frequency words and one exemplar word. Each week I will place six new frequency words on the wall, to build the students’ vocabulary and also serve as a reference for the students throughout the year. (Armbruster, Lehr, and Osborn, 2009)
Time must be set aside for proper instruction of phonics. I will begin by setting aside thirty minutes in the day for working with words. During this thirty-minute period I will first begin by introducing the words of the week and explain how each word works. I will segment and sound out the words, so that the children will hear the correct pronunciation. On the second day I will focus my attention on word building. Using magnetic letters and a magnetic board, I will line the letters up at the top and build words with similar patterns, for word manipulation. The third day, we as a class, will work on word sorting, reading, and gluing words into the children’s journals. As a class we will analyze the words and focus on the word in its entirety. On the fourth day, I will work with the children on building and writing high frequency words on personal wipe board and playing word games, to strengthen their accuracy and automaticity. Finally, on the fifth day I will work on word knowledge, I will give the students a test on ten spelling words, five spelling pattern words, five high frequency words, and two dictated sentences for the children. After the assessment, I will go over the test and re-teach if necessary.
Fluency is the ability to read text accurately and quickly according to Armbruster, Lehr, and Osborn (2009). Fluency is important for children due to the bridge it creates between word recognition and comprehension. Furthermore, fluent readers are able to read with expression. In my classroom, I intend to model fluent reading, and allow my children the opportunity and time to practice oral reading. I will also have my students participate in choral reading, reader’s theater, and tape assisted reading. Furthermore, I will have a variety of genres and levels of books allowing children the opportunity to find “just right” books. Finally, in my classroom I will guide children’s reading in small and large group and give them the appropriate feedback. I will be able to assess my students by listening to them read, using timed passages, and using a well defined rubric


1. PHONEMIC AWARENESS—The knowledge and manipulation of sounds in spoken words.

2. PHONICS—The relationship between written and spoken letters and sounds.

3. READING FLUENCY, INCLUDING ORAL READING SKILLS—The ability to read with
accuracy, and with appropriate rate, expression, and phrasing.

4. VOCABULARY DEVELOPMENT—The knowledge of words, their definitions, and context.

5. READING COMPREHENSION STRATEGIES—The understanding of meaning in text.
Must be based on scientifically based research.
Must include classroom-based screening, and instructional and diagnostic
reading assessments.
Should provide ongoing, high-quality professional development focused on
essential elements of reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment