Labels

Sunday, December 5, 2010

My Reading Philosophy

The teacher must become proficient as a highly effective teacher to ensure that these children catch up to the average norm. Highly effective teachers not only understand how oral language effects reading and writing, they also understand that children develop language at different rates. Furthermore, these teachers must adapt reading instruction to meet the needs of this diverse population of students. In my classroom I will incorporate structured times, thus allowing children to read every day, and giving ample opportunity for class and individual discussions to help develop oral language. Furthermore, I intend to give my students a wide variety of books that can accommodate their reading levels. For those students just entering school, my instruction will need to be modified to meet their needs, therefore I intend to model language by doing read alouds and read alongs, with quality children’s literature.

Dr. Seuss
"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."
— Dr. Seuss (I Can Read with My Eyes Shut)

No comments:

Post a Comment